SEA LIFE PARK TO SHELL-EBRATE WORLD TURTLE DAY WITH
THIRD ANNUAL EVENT WITH EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITIES
May 25, 2019. 9:30AM-1:00PM
In celebration of World Turtle Day, Sea Life Park will be honoring Hawaii’s beloved honu (Hawaiian Green Sea Turtle) in an annual event with a turtle release and family fun and educational activities throughout the day for guests.
In partnership with Malama Na Honu, keiki will be able to explore activity stations that share how Sea Life Park weighs, tracks, measures and care for honu, including a station where visitors will be able to see and interact with the Park’s juvenile turtles! Activities for World Turtle Day to include:
• 9:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.-
• Data Practicing Station: this station will introduce guests to real data collecting tools. Park staff will demonstrate how they use instruments to measure honu growth. Guests will learn what the Park and turtle conservationists do with their data through growth charts.
• Anatomy Station: keiki can learn about the parts of a turtle with displays of honu anatomy, showing how these reptiles are well equipped for life in the ocean.
• PIT Tagging Station: using a stuffed animal with a sample tracking chip, keiki will be able to see how scientists track where and how far honu travel out in the wild.
• Get an up-close look at Sea Life Park’s own juvenile honu with their resident care takers, and learn about young honu care as well as keeping honu safe in the wild.
• Explore displays on all the research that has been done at the Park with honu.
• Crafts, Scavenger hunts and more!
• 12:00 p.m. – Meeting of the Reef Rangers keiki conservation club!
• 1:30 p.m. - The turtle release ceremony begins and will be open to the public. A traditional Hawaiian blessing will take place just prior to the turtle release, held at the beach across from the Park along the Kalanianaole Highway at Kaupo Bay.
PLUS the first 50 keiki to enter the Park will receive free turtle feed cups to watch and learn how the animals eat!
Sea Life Park’s green sea turtle breeding program has contributed to the resurgence of honu in Hawaiian waters. The breeding program has further impact through the Park’s education programs with the help of these amazing “honu ambassadors.”
Special rate for Kama‘aina (Residents) with ID: Must have valid Hawaii ID.
Adult : $14.99 (13 years and older)
Junior : $14.99 (3-12 years)
Infants: Free (1-2 years)
Restrictions: Only two free keiki per paying adult. Transportation not included.